Duel Masters Reborn

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Masters Community Forum - Duel, Discuss, Trade, Share

For the sake of Kaijudo

_wkloh
    Initiate
    Initiate

Feedback Points : None

For the sake of Kaijudo Empty For the sake of Kaijudo

Post by _wkloh 18.04.19 8:52

Dearest duelists and kaijudo masters alike,

I am a duelist from Singapore and I'd like to speak up on behalf of OCG players and also, your wallets.

I have a background in TCG and progressed to OCG eventually as the gameplay has been expanded/evolved into a competitve fun game that has real trading value.

I personally understand the nostalgia of TCG from DM1 to DM12, but fact is that the game itself is originally from Japan (2002) and English prints merely translate whatever that was already circulated in Japanese. Or even worse, nerf some cards. A good example is Astral Reef--->Astral Warper where the former has a bigger impact due to massive advantage at a much lower cost (Reef is 4 mana compared to Warper's 6 mana while both allow 3 draws). Of course any person with common sense will choose the more advantageous option.

Personally, I don't believe that English cards will ever fetch more value for what they used to be and any of you who have been depleting your wallets to get scarce English prints, you could be saving at least 60-80% more if you bought the same card in Japanese. (Soulswap English is sold at a 'market' price of 60 dollars while the exact same card in Japanese text is sold at no more than 6-8 dollars). Any extra money you pay more for your English cards is really EMPTY nostalgia value and there's much more you can do with that excess, like get your gf a nice gift/buy a nice meal. Don't sacrifice money for nostalgia, it's not worth it.

If I have to say anymore, people from my country are ripping others off for a Bombazar ($100 approx) and its BANNED. I spoke to one of your community members @mr.counterspell on Instagram and guess what. You guys chose to ban Bombazar and even restrict cards like Slash charger. And for those of you who already have these cards, now ask yourself if it is really worth it?

For the collectors who just want to keep their cards, then this post is out of your reach as you guys will probably pay whatever you are willing to get that card.

There are now 71 main sets (not even including themed decks, side-supplementary booster packs and reprint sets) in OCG while English is really just restricted to 12 sets and no more than 9 pre-packaged decks. TCG players, please consider opening yourself up to the endless options OCG has to offer in place of the fewer types you can build with English. It's for the health of your interest the game, but if you're dead adamant on staying in old sets I won't stop you.

The feedback I get is, nobody wants to get a card in 'another' language even though it is the same thing regardless of language? Fact is if you already know the effects and how a card looks like then language shouldn't be a problem because everyone knows what that card is, and who wouldn't want to save money?

I shall end this lengthy post with just a few more thoughts: DM is still extremely popular and active in Japan with official tournaments and DM merchandise being traded. Nothing really exists for English anymore even if efforts to revive the game are made. The furthest you will get are just community - organised events that don't really attract much volume (in comparison to Japanese Grand Prix that get at least 1000 participants) and will probably die out in time to come as players leave a stagnant game. OCG is ever changing and will offer more fun, excitement and balance to the game (also exclusive merchandise lol). Leave TCG behind as a good memory and progress onwards to greater heights Smile
    Rishino
    Rishino
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

For the sake of Kaijudo Empty Re: For the sake of Kaijudo

Post by Rishino 20.04.19 0:42

The fact that english printed cards are getting more and more scarce makes it a natural reason for the prices to go up. I've even seen japanese guys go for english prints just because of the rarity of the language. Besides, most of this comes from people who play for the sake of nostalgia and not competitive play in mind. This is why people can charge over 30$ for a Bolshack Dragon. But tbh, it kinda makes me appreciate the english prints in my collection that much more. And they seem to be a pretty safe investment. That being said, there are a couple of vendors on Ebay who are to blame for the current "market".
    _wkloh
    Initiate
    Initiate

Post by _wkloh 20.04.19 4:55

I fully understand the scarcity of the prints and all. Which is what I do for collecting first prints of Japanese meta rares (DMX 13 VAN Beethoven for eg). But even so, there has got to be some line drawn for stuff like this. It can't remain escalating forever. DM06 Japanese Bolmeteus is outta print since ages ago as well but I don't see it exceeding $40 at the most, unlike English where its probably at least double and still rising
    Rishino
    Rishino
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Post by Rishino 20.04.19 13:12

_wkloh wrote:I fully understand the scarcity of the prints and all. Which is what I do for collecting first prints of Japanese meta rares (DMX 13 VAN Beethoven for eg). But even so, there has got to be some line drawn for stuff like this. It can't remain escalating forever. DM06 Japanese Bolmeteus is outta print since ages ago as well but I don't see it exceeding $40 at the most, unlike English where its probably at least double and still rising

I've only seen a couple of DM-06 Japanese Bolmeteus' before. They were all priced between 30-40$ as well whereas stuff like Craze Valkyrie and Daidalos from the same set only cost a third of their english print counterparts. I think Bolly benifits from some of the same nostalgia merits as Bolshack Dragon does. The only difference is that Bolly is actually a really good card, and therefore also has the "competitive play tax".
    PETSH0P
    PETSH0P
    Initiate
    Initiate

Post by PETSH0P 10.09.20 1:08

Rishino wrote:The fact that english printed cards are getting more and more scarce makes it a natural reason for the prices to go up. I've even seen japanese guys go for english prints just because of the rarity of the language. Besides, most of this comes from people who play for the sake of nostalgia and not competitive play in mind. This is why people can charge over 30$ for a Bolshack Dragon. But tbh, it kinda makes me appreciate the english prints in my collection that much more. And they seem to be a pretty safe investment. That being said, there are a couple of vendors on Ebay who are to blame for the current "market".

As someone trying to build a collection of cards, half of which I never had when I was a kid, this is something I'm running into big time. There's sellers overcharging for Japanese cards just because they know TCG players want the cards no matter the language. I am a victim of this. OP's post is helpful though. I did this years ago in an effort to get more cards and maybe play again and it payed off when rebuilding my collection.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.03.24 5:08