Duel Masters Reborn

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Masters Community Forum - Duel, Discuss, Trade, Share

How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years?

Mr-ex777
    Mr-ex777
    Master of Destruction
    Master of Destruction

Feedback Points : None

How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years? Empty How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years?

Post by Mr-ex777 07.02.17 7:14

Well, i don't have bias against TCG duelists but i just felt really strange.

How can people manage to play a card game that is discontinued and stale for 10 years without feeling bored? And without the intention to learn new OCG cards?

I mean, you really need to have the attention span of a walnut to play a dead game for over 10 years. It's sad but it's fact. It's just sad that you want to test a new OCG deck only to see hordes of TCG players or players you cannot beat with all your might waiting in the dueling room.

Ot course TCO players like Robertinho and Alex_Reborn are cool because they actually learn how to play OCG and i understand playing TCG racks up the tournament scores, but seriously if you are playing a card game that is stale and dead for 10 years exclusively you might have a problem.

How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years? Empty Re: How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years?

Post by Guest 07.02.17 9:19

You know, there are multiple reasons:
    - time commitment to learning ~50 more sets of cards, since this knowledge would only be used to play online with no real life tournaments in most places
    - more and more mechanics with ever increasing power level of cards started to feel, at least for me, as I would have been playing some YGO clone

- but mainly it is nostalgia, Duel Masters has its many flaws but it still draws me to it because I grew up with it and sometimes play in the US for the sake of the old times

By the way, your post sounds extremely offensive in a way "I'm right so you must be wrong". There are better ways to articulate your opinion than to outright insult the person you are trying to conversate with.
    Qbius
    Qbius

How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years? Empty Re: How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years?

Post by Qbius 07.02.17 11:19

I get your points, but it seems to me as you're just trying to antagonize TCO TCG players solely because they take up room space, and if that wasn't the case you wouldn't have any problem with them. If I were you, I would be complaining about the room size instead. Why are they so tiny anyway?
    Mr-ex777
    Mr-ex777
    Master of Destruction
    Master of Destruction

Post by Mr-ex777 07.02.17 11:41

Qbius wrote:I get your points, but it seems to me as you're just trying to antagonize TCO TCG players solely because they take up room space, and if that wasn't the case you wouldn't have any problem with them. If I were you, I would be complaining about the room size instead. Why are they so tiny anyway?

Actually my point is you need to have some sort of insanity to play a dead card game for 10 years after its death. Especially when on the other side there's a fully functioning and thriving card game.
    Zach Hartigan
    Zach Hartigan

Feedback Points : +6

Post by Zach Hartigan 07.02.17 11:43

Wtf, really...

Well everyone got their own opinion but yours is too rough and rude. Why to belittle active TCG players and blame them for it? I bet most of players in TCO is around 20-years old. That simply means they were little kids when DM appears. For example in my country kids didnt know correct rules and made their own creations. I returned to DM scene because i wanted to learn rules and all different styles in TCG with better english language skills. To understand different meanings on cards etc.

After that i take some time to learn OCG basics and become average duelist. I hate latest era because i prefer more strategic gameplay than poor REV change. DS era is the greatest for sure and players who are interested about OCG should focus their attention to DS.

But whats wrong with you? "but seriously if you are playing a card game that is stale and dead for 10 years exclusively you might have a problem"

(facepalm)...

Im sure that many TCG players can integrate to this point of view.

How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years? Promo114
    Qbius
    Qbius

Post by Qbius 07.02.17 14:41

Actually my point is you need to have some sort of insanity to play a dead card game for 10 years after its death. Especially when on the other side there's a fully functioning and thriving card game.
    I don't know, man. I don't really see "insanity" as a requirement for liking TCG over OCG. I'd say that the only thing you need for that is that you need to like TCG more than OCG, but what do I know, apparently there's something wrong with my head.

I guess I'll explain myself then... I mean, ramble unintelligibly, like the mad person that I am.
    I only average like 1-2 games per week.
    I don't go to TCO to rank up in the monthly tournament, or to hone my skills, or to test my decks, or whatever. I just play with friends for fun, from time to time.
    Because we're playing in the TCG format, all of us can recall a vast majority of all available cards. Synergies or combos may surprise us, but the cards most likely won't. In a sense, we're able to look at the entire scope of the game.

But in the case of OCG, the number of set releases there approaches three fourths of a hundred. Maybe it's already past that point, I'm not sure. Becoming familiar with all those sets would be an actual commitment, and whilst I like Duel Masters really, really much and it was an important part of my life, it's not important enough for me to want to start learning it all over again.

So what I'm saying is, TCG is very much a comfort zone. A sanctuary of easy entertainment. I understand that my entire point sums up to the fact that I'm lazy, but it's all just a fun activity anyway. And there's nothing wrong with being lazy in this regard, is there?

Summarizing, I agree 100% that TCG is a vastly inferior competitive experience. However, not everyone seeks a competitive experience.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Feedback Points : +8

Post by Admin 07.02.17 16:03

I never really was a TCG duelist but I was quite big in OCG - until I started establishing the Finnish community. I got back to TCG and since all of the Finns are playing at least TCG, I have nowadays around 20 TCG decks and the amount has actually surpassed the amount of my OCG decks, which is around 16.

TCG is stable, it has a large number of players, it has nostalgia, no need to memorize so many cards. I enjoy playing OCG but TCG is where the roots of DM are, at least outside Japan. Still, I encourage everyone to try OCG since it's basically the same game as TCG but with some twists. Plus, you can play it online free (like TCG).

I wouldn't want to just to be playing one or the other, personally, and I'm really happy that I took the step "backwards" and didn't just keep on playing OCG. It really was a step forwards for me.

[hideedit]

Last edited by ELTP on 07.02.17 16:46; edited 2 times in total
    diffindo
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Feedback Points : +1

Post by diffindo 07.02.17 16:15

Mr-ex777 wrote:
    Qbius wrote:I get your points, but it seems to me as you're just trying to antagonize TCO TCG players solely because they take up room space, and if that wasn't the case you wouldn't have any problem with them. If I were you, I would be complaining about the room size instead. Why are they so tiny anyway?

That's just your opinion. People who subjectively have a different opinion from you aren't automatically 'insane'.
    Mr-ex777
    Mr-ex777
    Master of Destruction
    Master of Destruction

Post by Mr-ex777 07.02.17 16:26

diffindo wrote:
    Mr-ex777 wrote:

That's just your opinion. People who subjectively have a different opinion from you aren't automatically 'insane'.

They aren't automatically insane unfortunately.
    diffindo
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Post by diffindo 07.02.17 17:06

Mr-ex777 wrote:
    diffindo wrote:
    Mr-ex777 wrote:

They aren't automatically insane unfortunately.

"you need to have some sort of insanity to do ____" = "you are automatically insane if you do ____".

So yeah, you just shot your own 'claim' down, lmao
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin 07.02.17 19:07

This is getting a bit too much of off-topic arguing. One could argue that TCG is stupid, another that OCG sucks, a third that both are lame and a fourth that neither of them are bad. We couldn't really tell if anyone of those would be right or wrong, it's basically just opinions.

Don't start bashing each other, it's no good and is totally useless. Keep on the topic at hand.
    OcaVan
    OcaVan
    Black Shadow
    Black Shadow

Feedback Points : +12

Post by OcaVan 07.02.17 21:40

Okay then back to the title question:

It's a lot easier to bild a deck tcg than in ocg because you can choose from amoung 12 sets + promos of which di you want to play. And of course you don't have to explain your cards every now and then to non-ocg players. Normally everybody knows the effect of a card. And of course it has also something to do with nostalgia.

diffindo
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Post by diffindo 08.02.17 4:43

ELTP wrote:This is getting a bit too much of off-topic arguing. One could argue that TCG is stupid, another that OCG sucks, a third that both are lame and a fourth that neither of them are bad. We couldn't really tell if anyone of those would be right or wrong, it's basically just opinions.

Don't start bashing each other, it's no good and is totally useless. Keep on the topic at hand.

I wasn't bashing anyone. The TC is entitled to his opinion, of course. My point was that no productive discussion is going to come out of this topic, especially if it's going to involve massive generalisations. Isn't TCG or OCG just a matter of preference?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin 08.02.17 12:33

diffindo wrote:I wasn't bashing anyone. The TC is entitled to his opinion, of course. My point was that no productive discussion is going to come out of this topic, especially if it's going to involve massive generalisations. Isn't TCG or OCG just a matter of preference?
    Yeah yeah, well it's getting too directed and meaningless.

I'm Glad to see so many people are rooting for TCG and seeing its value. Not everything has to keep proceeding in order to remain great. That said, I totally understand why people want to people to play OCG format. I do it myself, and like I already said, I appreciate both formats. Hybrid might be the only format that gets a big NO from me. It's not fun and breaks the game.
    nitrox
    nitrox

Post by nitrox 17.02.17 19:28

All people new to DM start with the TCG. Old veterans of DM might feel that TCG is stale, but it's still fun playing against new people and seeing what they come up with in an old game.
    Bronze-Arm Sloth
    Bronze-Arm Sloth
    Master of Destruction
    Master of Destruction

Post by Bronze-Arm Sloth 13.07.17 14:21

TCG only because:
    - Japanese letters suck, and it sucks puting paper into the sleeves to have translations, as well this language is hard to learn
    - TCG has millions of variety and the cardpool wont grow, so you can keep with your favorite decks
    - TCG was Duel Masters, OCG broke it in my opinion.
    SunnySunday
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Post by SunnySunday 02.01.18 11:05

It's funny that most of the insults you used toward TCG players apply more to yourself than anyone else. People play whatever they want for fun, who are you to judge?
    iamjason8
    Master of Evolution
    Master of Evolution

Post by iamjason8 19.01.18 12:47

How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years? Hqdefa10

Keep calm, enjoy Duel Masters. Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin 19.01.18 14:27

iamjason8 wrote:How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years? Hqdefa10

Keep calm, enjoy Duel Masters. Smile
    This definitely was not surprising to anyone. Bashing something is never good, especially when (passionate) fans are present, like here.
    GengarJ
    GengarJ
    Initiate
    Initiate

How can anyone play a card game that is stale and dead for over 10 years? Empty SOOO...

Post by GengarJ 01.03.18 0:39

Mr-ex777 wrote:

Actually, my point is you need to have some sort of insanity to play a dead card game for 10 years after its death. Especially when on the other side there's a fully functioning and thriving card game.

Brother, slow down. I can play this card game even though it is "dead" because it's a good card game. It's a great game. It's that simple. If you saw my whole history with Duel Masters, you would flip out, because not only did the game suddenly die on me...I didn't even get to see sets 6-12. I never got to buy any, they stopped being shipped to my state and...I've had to buy everything online.

The game stays alive because my friends and I keep it alive. We play, we buy "new" cards on eBay, and we play again.
    Enigmafiend
    Enigmafiend
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Post by Enigmafiend 06.06.18 17:08

What our good friend rex fails to understand is that not everyone is willing to go learn jap and the mechanics of ocg so that they are up to date on a rapidly changing meta and instead most prefer the calm and still playstyle and meta of tcg
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "Through boiling clouds of thunder, terrifying scream, raging on the hanger he is almost a time machine. THIS IS THE TIME BURNER, BALESK BAJ THE TIME BURNER. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH (Goes upto A5 with the woooh)
    Halfar
    Halfar
    Invincible Charge
    Invincible Charge

Post by Halfar 06.06.18 22:18

Enigmafiend wrote:What our good friend rex fails to understand is that not everyone is willing to go learn jap and the mechanics of ocg so that they are up to date on a rapidly changing meta and instead most prefer the calm and still playstyle and meta of tcg
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "Through boiling clouds of thunder, terrifying scream, raging on the hanger he is almost a time machine. THIS IS THE TIME BURNER, BALESK BAJ THE TIME BURNER. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH (Goes upto A5 with the woooh)

And that TCG is Nostalgic, because most of us were kids back in the days
    where DM were alive.
    loui-mh
    loui-mh
    Master of Destruction
    Master of Destruction

Feedback Points : +11

Post by loui-mh 07.06.18 9:11

GengarJ wrote:I can play this card game even though it is "dead" because it's a good card game. It's a great game. It's that simple. If you saw my whole history with Duel Masters, you would flip out, because not only did the game suddenly die on me...I didn't even get to see sets 6-12. I never got to buy any, they stopped being shipped to my state and...I've had to buy everything online.

The game stays alive because my friends and I keep it alive. We play, we buy "new" cards on eBay, and we play again.

That's the spirit of the game and the community to keep this game alive even though it's actual dead for more than 10 years. What a Face
    Halfar
    Halfar
    Invincible Charge
    Invincible Charge

Post by Halfar 07.06.18 16:15

GengarJ wrote:

Dude you said it perfectly in one sentence.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.03.24 5:32