Duel Masters Reborn

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Masters Community Forum - Duel, Discuss, Trade, Share

TCG Promos - How They Were Released

Haiken
    Haiken

Feedback Points : +15

TCG Promos - How They Were Released Empty TCG Promos - How They Were Released

Post by Haiken 29.01.17 0:05

Here you can find information about the TCG promos and their release. Some of this may still be useful to those trying to collect said promos. There is also a small segment dedicated to locating the Scream Slicer promos. Feel free to add links and info in the comments below.

Event Promos - Year 1

E1/Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn - This promo was given to participants of the New York Duel Masters launch event. Link.
      E2 Y1 Fire Sweeper Burning Hellion - This promo was released during the US mall tours. Link.
      E3/Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn - This promo was given to participants of the US national "Learn to Play Day", which was held at Toys "R" Us stores.Link.
      E4 Y1 Gregorian Worm - This promo was given to participants of the DM-04 pre-release tournament. Link.
      E5 Y1 Twin-Cannon Skyterror - This promo was given to participants of the DM-05 pre-release tournament.Link.
      E6 Y1 Innocent Hunter, Blade of All - This promo was given to participants of the DM-06 pre-release tournament. Link.

Event Promos - Year 2:

E1 Y2 Trenchdive Shark - This promo was given to participants of the DM-07 pre-release tournament. Link.
      E2/Y2 Sasha, Channeler of Suns - This promo was given to participants of the DM-08 pre-release tournament.
      E3/Y2 Storm Wrangler, the Furious - This promo was given to participants of the DM-09 pre-release tournament. Link.

Tournament Promos - Year 1:

T1 Y1 Stampeding Longhorn - This promo was released during the US mall tours.  Link.
      T2 Y1 Terror Pit - This promo was given to participants of the Invitation Circuit to the 2005 Continental Championship.  Link.
      T3 Y1 Holy Awe - This promo was given to participants of the DM-04 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
      T4 Y1 Corile - This promo was given to participants of the DM-05 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
      T5 Y1 Aqua Hulcus - This promo was given to winners of the Invitation Circuit to the 2005 Continental Championship. (While the promo's collection number actually says "T3 Y1", it is recognized as "T5 Y1".) Link.

Tournament Promos - Year 2:

T1 Y2 Snip Striker Bullraizer - This promo was given to participants of the DM-06 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
      T2 Y2 Photocide, Lord of the Wastes - This promo was given to participants of the DM-07 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.
      T3/Y2 Crystal Lancer - This promo was given to participants of the DM-08 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations. Link.

JDC League Promos - Year 1:

These promos were released during JDC Tournaments.

L1/6 Y1 Armored Groblav
      L2/6 Y1 Barkwhip, the Smasher
      L3/6 Y1 Amnis, Holy Elemental
      L4/6 Y1 Gigaberos
      L5/6 Y1 Giliam, the Tormentor
      L6/6 Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn
      L7/12 Y1 Magris, Vizier of Magnetism
      L8/12 Y1 Emeral
      L9/12 Y1 Marinomancer
      L10/12 Y1 Chaos Worm
      L11/12 Y1 Boltail Dragon
      L12/12 Y1 Torcon
      L13/20 Y1 Ballus, Dogfight Enforcer Q
      L14/20 Y1 Olgate, Nightmare Samurai
      L15/20 Y1 Nocturnal Giant
      L16/20 Y1 Gigakail
      L17/20 Y1 Skullsweeper Q
      L18/20 Y1 Brigade Shell Q
      L19/20 Y1 Grave Worm Q
      L20/20 Y1 Bolgash Dragon

JDC League Promos - Year 2:

These promos were released during year 2 of the JDC Tournaments. The only card here I will provide further information about is the L13/Y2 Scream Slicer.
    The easiest source to find is it being listed on Troll and Toad. According to their logs, they have only sold 2 copies of the card. Link
    Apart from that, there are two other sources.
    The first one is this: listing. This is where my own Scream Slicer comes from. (I bought it from the seller who bought this listing.)
    The other Scream Slicer belonged to CK09' on Pojo. Link. He is currently inactive on Pojo and has stopped collecting Duel Masters, so it is unknown what happened to his Scream Slicer. For all I know, my Scream Slicer could be the one he had.

L1 Y2 Rumblesaur Q
      L2 Y2 Q-tronic Omnistrain
      L3 Y2 Charmilia, the Enticer
      L4 Y2 Locomotiver
      L5 Y2 Phantasmal Horror Gigazabal
      L6 Y2 Überdragon Zaschack
      L7 Y2 Apocalypse Vise
      L8 Y2 Valkrowzer, Ultra Rock Beast
      L9 Y2 World Tree, Root of Life
      L10 Y2 Dyno Mantis, the Mightspinner
      L11/Y2 Vikorakys
      L12/Y2 Magmadragon Melgars
      L13/Y2 Scream Slicer, Shadow of Fear
      L14/Y2 Velyrika Dragon
      L15/Y2 Furious Onslaught
      L16/Y2 Kyrstron, Lair Delver
      L17/Y2 Slash Charger
      L18/Y2 Terradragon Anrist Vhal

Sempai Legends Atari Promos:

These promos were included in various limited editions of the Duel Masters GBA games. Link.

A1/Y1 Rothus, the Traveler
      A2/Y1 Brain Serum
      A3/Y1 Bronze-Arm Tribe
      A4/Y1 Sonic Wing
      A5/Y1 Night Master, Shadow of Decay

McDonalds Kids Meal Promotional:

These promos were released by McDonalds, through Kids Meals. Link. There were 3 cards included with every toy.

M1/Y1 Loth Rix, the Iridescent
      M2/Y1 Twister Fish
      M3/Y1 Gigagrax
      M4/Y1 Star-Cry Dragon
      M5/Y1 Angry Maple
      M6/Y1 Ur Pale, Seeker of Sunlight
      M7/Y1 Toel, Vizier of Hope
      M8/Y1 Aqua Jolter
      M9/Y1 Aqua Hulcus
      M10/Y1 Gigastand
      M11/Y1 Dark Raven, Shadow of Grief
      M12/Y1 Mongrel Man
      M13/Y1 Super Explosive Volcanodon
      M14/Y1 Rothus, the Traveler
      M15/Y1 Mighty Shouter

Burger King Kids Meal Promotional:

These promos were released by Burger King, through Kids Meals. While there were six toys given out at the time, only one of them came with a card. Link.

B1/7 Y1 La Ura Giga, Sky Guardian
      B2/7 Y1 Larba Geer, the Immaculate
      B3/7 Y1 Phantom Fish
      B4/7 Y1 Aqua Knight
      B5/7 Y1 Horrid Worm
      B6/7 Y1 Galsaur
      B7/7 Y1 Fortress Shell

D-MAX Reward Year 1:

P1/Y1 Arc Bine, the Astounding - This promo was included in the DVD and VHS editions of the movie "The Good, the Bad and the Bolshack" in the US. Link.
     P2 Y1 Gariel, Elemental of Sunbeams - This promo was given to members of D-Max who had won a sufficient amount of tournaments. Link.

D-MAX Reward Year 2:

P1 Y2 Three-Faced Ashura Fang - This promo was given to members of D-Max who had won a sufficient amount of tournaments. Link.
      P2/Y2 Slaphappy Soldier Galback This promo was given to members of D-Max who had won a sufficient amount of tournaments. Link.

D-MAX Reward Year 3:

P0/Y3 Super Dragon Machine Dolzark - This promo was given to people who swapped it with their DM-10 Redemption Card at retail stores. Link.
      P1/Y3 Gigandura - This promo was given to participants of the DM-10 pre-release tournament. Link.
      P2/Y3 Bazagazeal Dragon - This promo was given to participants of the DM-09 Tournament of the 5 Civilizations.
      P3/Y3 Melnia, the Aqua Shadow - This promo was given to participants of the DM-11 pre-release tournament. Link.
      P4/Y3 Neve, the Leveler - This promo was included in the magazine Dragonfire. It was fastened on the last page with fugutive glue. Link.

Starter Deck Promos:

These promos were included in Starter Decks and Theme Decks.

85a/110 Rothus, the Traveler - Duel Masters Starter Deck.
      23a/55 Amber Piercer - Kokujo's Darkness Deck.
      42a/55 Metalwing Skyterror - Shobu's Fire Deck.
      85a/110 Pyrofighter Magnus - Duel Masters Starter Deck 2.
      66a/110 Schuka, Duke of Amnesia - Disruptive Forces Deck.
      94a/110 Charmilia, the Enticer - Block Rockers Deck.
      32a/55 Necrodragon Galbazeek - Merciless Pummeling Deck.
      36a/55 Bruiser Dragon - Rise of the Dragonoids Deck.
      36a/110 Mystic Magician - Hard Silence Deck.
      62a/110 Armored Raider Gandaval - Twin Swarm Deck.
      75a/110 Smash Warrior Stagrandu - Duel Masters Starter Deck 3.

Shadowclash Collector Tin:

These promos were included in the Shadowclash Collector Tin. Link.

10a/46 Mist Rias, Sonic Guardian
      26a/46 Mongrel Man
      1/46 - Ethel, Star Sea Elemental
      2/46 - Vampire Silphy
      3/46 - Aeris, Flight Elemental
      4/46 - Emerald Grass
      5/46 - Fu Reil, Seeker of Storms
      6/46 - Gulan Rias, Speed Guardian
      7/46 - La Ura Giga, Sky Guardian
      8/46 - Miele, Vizier of Lightning
      9/46 - Milieus, the Daystretcher
      10/46 - Mist Rias, Sonic Guardian
      11/46 - Moonlight Flash
      12/46 - Ra Vu, Seeker of Lightning
      13/46 - Screaming Sunburst
      14/46 - Solar Ray
      15/46 - Syforce, Aurora Elemental
      16/46 - Toel, Vizier of Hope
      17/46 - Bloody Squito
      18/46 - Bone Assassin, the Ripper
      19/46 - Bone Spider
      20/46 - Critical Blade
      21/46 - Dark Reversal
      22/46 - Death Smoke
      23/46 - Gamil, Knight of Hatred
      24/46 - Gigabolver
      25/46 - Marrow Ooze, the Twister
      26/46 - Mongrel Man
      27/46 - Photocide, Lord of the Wastes
      28/46 - Purple Piercer
      29/46 - Scratchclaw
      30/46 - Soul Gulp
      31/46 - Swamp Worm
      32/46 - Vashuna, Sword Dancer
      33/46 - Volcano Smog, Deceptive Shade
      34/46 - Blasto, Explosive Soldier
      35/46 - Brawler Zyler
      36/46 - Burst Shot
      37/46 - Fire Sweeper Burning Hellion
      38/46 - Super Explosive Volcanodon
      39/46 - Sword of Malevolent Death
      40/46 - Bronze-Arm Tribe
      41/46 - Dimension Gate
      42/46 - Exploding Cactus
      43/46 - Mighty Shouter
      44/46 - Natural Snare
      45/46 - Silver Axe
      46/46 - Sword of Benevolent Life

Kellogg's Promos:

These promos were released by Kellogg's. You only got one card from each cereal box. Link.

K1/Y1 Holy Awe
      K2/Y1 Crystal Lancer
      K3/Y1 Dark Raven, Shadow of Grief
      K4/Y1 Explosive Fighter Ucarn
      K5/Y1 Bliss Totem, Avatar of Luck

Duel Masters Comic Promo Cards:

P1/Y0 Gigaberos - The first five of these promos were included in the different versions of volume 1 of the DM comics released by Dreamwave. Gigaberos was in the Darkness version, Draglide in the Fire version, etc. Link. Link.
      P2/Y0 Draglide
      P3/Y0 Szubs Kin, Twilight Guardian
      P4/Y0 Stampeding Longhorn
      P5/Y0 Tropico
      P6 Y0 Mighty Shouter - This promo was released by Dreamwave also. It was included in Volume 4 of the comic. Link.

German Panini Promos:

24/55 Keeper of the Sunlit Abyss - This promo was released by Panini. It was included in the magazine "Duel Masters Das Offizielle Magazin" number 1.  Link.
      43/55 Otherworldly Warrior Naglu - This promo was released by Panini. It was included in the magazine "Duel Masters Das Offizielle Magazin" number 2. Link.
      91/110 Bliss Totem, Avatar of Luck - This promo was released by Panini. It was included in the magazine "Duel Masters Offizieller Card Guide". Link. Link.

Italian Official Duel Masters Magazine Promo:

91/110 Bliss Totem, Avatar of Luck - This promo was released by Parrini & Co. It was included in the Italian magazine "Official Duel Masters Magazine" number 5. Link.

Last edited by ELTP on 12.03.20 10:10; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Promo Arc Bine update)
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Feedback Points : +8

TCG Promos - How They Were Released Empty Re: TCG Promos - How They Were Released

Post by Admin 29.01.17 18:07

Very interesting thread, indeed. This will surely be helpful for many collectors.

Scream Slicer surely is a very odd ball and there must be only few of those around. Maybe other Screams will be find besides the currently known 2 but it's very unlikely. It's weird how your Scream ended up to Poland of all places. It is far away from its home country.
    Yami_Michael
    Yami_Michael

TCG Promos - How They Were Released Empty Re: TCG Promos - How They Were Released

Post by Yami_Michael 03.02.17 12:46

They didn't have a table initially, but a while ago the OCG promo pages did start getting a table wit a description of how they were obtained.

I'll likely be adding some of this to that TCG promo page soon.

Yami_Michael

Post by Yami_Michael 03.02.17 12:50

The weird thing is, I actually pwn that E3/Y1 Ucarn that was given from the the "Learn to Play Day", which was held at Toys "R" Us.

However, thats not where mine was from. I was actually given it (as well as 2 regular Silver Axe cards) at an Eb Games store yeeears ago buying a regular booster (or maybe the DM-01 starter deck. )

Haiken

Post by Haiken 03.02.17 15:09

Hm, that is interesting. I did not know other companies than Toys "R" Us participated in that event. But I suppose that would be the case in countries where Toys "R" Us weren't available.

Here is another link for the E3/Y1 promo. The other link specifies which Ucarn that was given out, so I chose that one instead.
    Link.
    Yami_Michael
    Yami_Michael

Post by Yami_Michael 03.02.17 15:11

Yeah, Toy's R Us stores do exist here (not many, but they do) but this was months before they had any events at all here (and they were few in number).

Must have just been random distributors somewhere.

awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc 05.02.17 5:48

Haiken wrote:D-MAX Reward Year 1:

P1/Y1 Arc Bine, the Astounding - This promo was included in various editions of the movie "The Good, the Bad and the Bolshack" in the US. Look for this sticker on the DVD. Link.

So does this mean only a few DVD/VHS copies came with Arc Bine? Or did all of them had an Arc Bine card? Shocked
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin 05.02.17 11:46

awesomezxc wrote:So does this mean only a few DVD/VHS copies came with Arc Bine? Or did all of them had an Arc Bine card? Shocked
    At least I got mine from an American DVD version of the film. Arc Bine wasn't covered at all, so it had taken a bit damage. I'm pretty sure the card came with every American DVD release of the film.
    Haiken
    Haiken

Post by Haiken 05.02.17 15:03

I have bought three copies of the DVD. Only the two that had that sticker came with Arc Bine.
    But after ELTPs statement I feel this warrants another try. I have now bought a VHS from the US (without the sticker), and will post here once I get it.

In any case, if you find a DVD with that sticker, then you can be assured that Arc Bine is included in the least.

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin 05.02.17 15:52

I might have just been lucky. I don't even know if my DVD case had that sticker on it or not Razz

Anyway, I eagerly wait what you will find out, Haiken.
    awesomezxc
    awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc 05.02.17 16:37

Haiken wrote:I have bought three copies of the DVD. Only the two that had that sticker came with Arc Bine.
    But after ELTPs statement I feel this warrants another try. I have now bought a VHS from the US (without the sticker), and will post here once I get it.

In any case, if you find a DVD with that sticker, then you can be assured that Arc Bine is included in the least.

ooo yeah looking forward to your update!
    Zach Hartigan
    Zach Hartigan

Feedback Points : +6

Post by Zach Hartigan 05.02.17 17:46

What a huge relief that i dont need to worry about this one anymore...

TCG Promos - How They Were Released Promo114
    Haiken
    Haiken

TCG Promos - How They Were Released Empty VHS has arrived

Post by Haiken 21.02.17 21:39

I picked up the VHS "The Good, the Bad and the Bolshack" today, and it came with a promo Arc Bine, despite not having a sticker.
    So I think we can safely assume that any US version of DVD/VHS of the movie comes with the card, regardless of whether the sticker is included.

Upon further research, I now believe the stickers were added to DVDs sold before the release of DM-06. The stickers say the card is exclusive until "4/30/2005". That is around the same time as DM-06 was released. Link.

I still don't know why I didn't get the card in one of the DVDs I ordered earlier. If I were to guess, then I would say that shrinkwrap was added to an already opened DVD in order to sell it as "new".

I'll update the thread shortly to reflect the new findings.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin 22.02.17 18:51

Well, that's excellent news! There are still lots of these DVDs for sale on eBay and lots of people are looking for promo Arc Bine.
    OcaVan
    OcaVan
    Black Shadow
    Black Shadow

Feedback Points : +12

Post by OcaVan 24.02.17 15:25

Though i'm not interested in tcg promos except for maybe 1 -2 stylish exception, this thread is not only about how dm promos were released. It's also a small/great chronolical timelime "flashback" for TCG, for me at least. And it brought up some memories.

I remember that our local stores was giving a couple of copies away for free of JDC League Promos like Barwhip or Groblav after TCG wasn't produced anymore. I also remember he gave some Apocalypse Promo Year 2 away...
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin 24.02.17 15:57

Despite living outside America where most of the promotional stuff were given, promos are definitely a nice throwback down the glorious TCG road! They are a big part of DM culture.

Also, this thread makes it much easier for everyone to understand why some promos are more difficult to find than others.
    awesomezxc
    awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc 25.02.17 8:15

Ahh thats great news. Thanks Haiken, now I just gotta keep a look out for the DVD or VHS haha.

It'll be cool though if there was a timeline to show the release of the promo cards
    OcaVan
    OcaVan
    Black Shadow
    Black Shadow

Post by OcaVan 27.02.17 19:56

good idea @awesomexc!
    Would be nice to see, but i don't know if Haiken intended to di this originally.
    Haiken
    Haiken

Post by Haiken 27.02.17 20:11

I agree that it would be cool to have a timeline, but I think it would be difficult to find the release date for each card.
    The main problem would be that different states/countries released the promos at different times.
    OcaVan
    OcaVan
    Black Shadow
    Black Shadow

Post by OcaVan 27.02.17 20:32

where would you start looking for such informations?
    Haiken
    Haiken

Post by Haiken 27.02.17 23:11

The D-Max newsletters would be a good place to start. Link.
    I'd also look in the Web Archive for tournaments and other relevant articles.

If I can't find anything from official sources, then I would consider browsing various forums, such as mkrealms and pojo.
    Businesswire.com also have a few useful articles. Link
    Google would prove very useful I imagine.
    awesomezxc
    awesomezxc

Post by awesomezxc 01.03.17 5:21

Haiken wrote:The D-Max newsletters would be a good place to start. Link.
    I'd also look in the Web Archive for tournaments and other relevant articles.

If I can't find anything from official sources, then I would consider browsing various forums, such as mkrealms and pojo.
    Businesswire.com also have a few useful articles. Link
    Google would prove very useful I imagine.

That'll be great! If you need any help or anything, just drop a message. A timeline would be super cool
    Haiken
    Haiken

Post by Haiken 12.07.19 22:12

I have updated the info on the Scream Slicer Promo. I've been in touch with Troll and Toad customer service, and they were kind enough to inform me that they have only sold 2 copies of the card.

"From our inventory count, I can only see that we have come across and sold 2 of these items. I do hope this helps!"

I was kind of surprised to hear that only 2 were sold through Troll and Toad. The card is even more rare than I expected.
    ELTP
    ELTP
    Initiate
    Initiate

Post by ELTP 12.04.22 13:04

So there should be at least 2 copies of Scream Slicer promo at large and possibly even more, at least one promo pack's content. I wonder if we will ever see one outside of Haiken's personal collection. Finding that copy was already a big win and at least proved that the promo really was out there and not destroyed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.03.24 10:34