Duel Masters Reborn

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duel Masters Community Forum - Duel, Discuss, Trade, Share

'Beginners? - How to convince people to start with DM'

OcaVan
    OcaVan
    Black Shadow
    Black Shadow

Feedback Points : +12

'Beginners? - How to convince people to start with DM' Empty 'Beginners? - How to convince people to start with DM'

Post by OcaVan 19.11.17 14:22

Regarding the DM community is scattered worldwide and some communities made it possible (like the finnish DM community) to establish a good player base, i asked myself: "How can I or others convince other people to start with DM?"

For me it's hard to convince people to start with DM (espicially TCG), since the prices for old cards are super high and japanese prints can be quite confusing for a beginner. The fact that the game was discontinued many years ago doesn't make it easier to find new players. And there is the problem itself: A low irl playerbase that is difficult to reach and only accesible through forums like Reborn.

What are your ideas for make advertising for new DM Duelist? Or didn't you care about it at all?
    Simply starting some 'Learn the basic' duels and offer to build a starter steck for a "fair" price? Any idea? Let them feel the "passion"?
    In the end this can experienced as quite frustrating as it/was for me here in germany?
    How was it in Finnland? or in Poland f.e.?
    I'm curious.
    Jynkkymasiina69
    Jynkkymasiina69
    Apprentice
    Apprentice

Feedback Points : None

'Beginners? - How to convince people to start with DM' Empty Re: 'Beginners? - How to convince people to start with DM'

Post by Jynkkymasiina69 19.11.17 16:52

The only way I'd ever see new players getting interest on DM would be an official Duel Masters online client from wizards.

All of us are here cos we were looking at our old collections and searched for a DM community on google.

The way to reach old players to come back and play would mostly be youtube. Also I would hope that we could grow our discord server.
    OcaVan
    OcaVan
    Black Shadow
    Black Shadow

Feedback Points : +12

'Beginners? - How to convince people to start with DM' Empty Re: 'Beginners? - How to convince people to start with DM'

Post by OcaVan 21.11.17 10:06

Jynkkymasiina69 wrote:The only way I'd ever see new players getting interest on DM would be an official Duel Masters online client from wizards.

All of us are here cos we were looking at our old collections and searched for a DM community on google.

The way to reach old players to come back and play would mostly be youtube. Also I would hope that we could grow our discord server.

I'm afraid, some parts if your answer are true. Espicially many players that came back to DM because of their old collection.

The finnish community made it possible to reach new players, at least of what i heard. Maybe i'm wrong. I'm curious in how they achieved this.

Discord is growing. We all working on it. It takes time. And the more we are(regarding tournaments), the better connected our communities, the faster qe grow!
    Coriler
    Coriler
    Master of Evolution
    Master of Evolution

Feedback Points : +2

Post by Coriler 21.11.17 10:56

its not just looking at old collections:

i know some examples of yugioh quitters that returned to dm. a lot of german DM players i have talked with have done that, myself included

the reasonings:

the banlist was/ is a mess. its exploited to control the cardpool for profit.
    not only cards are banned but also not let go even if they are not problematic, so they
    dont make other top decks less competitive.

yugioh created broken cards/staples one had to aquire that would then be banned/limited/reprinted
    in half a year. you basically lost money/paid just for half a year to be competitive.
    the cardpool changes and cards get powercrept as well.

in the fixed TCG format this doesnt happen. prices rise mostly and investments for expensive cards wont get lost most of the time.(bar community rrestrictions of clamp etc.)
    so people are willing to pay that much. since its a "save" investment in comparision to yugioh.

the TCG format is a bliss. or lets say fixed formats are a bliss. like yugioh goat format or
    the TCG+ format (dm 13) or the dm 17 format as well.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Feedback Points : +8

Post by Admin 23.11.17 21:31

In Finland, we haven't really got any new players. I think pretty much all of the duelists who have joined us, are returning players that stumbled across us online and wanted to start Duel Masters again for nostalgic reasons. Most of our members originally had 1-2 other people with whom they dueled every now and then before joining us.

On this thread you guys have already mentioned many reasons for why Duel Masters is and most likely will stay such a niche trading card game outside Japan: It's discontinued, prices have gone up, even if Japanese prints were available - which they don't - there would be a language barrier despite DM Wiki etc.

In conclusion, we can't really attract truly new players since there's not enough support for that. We are passionate but there's really nothing we can do about the challenges one faces when coming across Duel Masters by some miracle and then noticing that the cards are scarce and very expensive. And if that person digged deeper, he/she would realize that Japanese game is still played but it certainly must be confusing to start learning those cards even with the translations provided by DM Wiki!

We have to focus on bringing old players back, show them how they can get their cards relatively cheap from Japan or fellow duelists. The support of national community is what keeps things going here in Finland. Of course, one can't forget about internationality but it alone can't sustain one's DM hobby.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19.03.24 3:59